The first week in Utrecht

Monday 10 September 2018


I remember my year 8 French teacher talking to the class about his year abroad, and thinking 'how did he do that? Live abroad? By himself?' It really is crazy to think about quiet high school Anna ever being brave enough to live abroad for a year.

DAY 1
Getting out here was fun; with 10 minutes until my boarding gates closed I was still at the end of the queue at customs, to find that after stressing my way through security my flight was delayed anyway. Nice. But once I got to Schiphol everything seemed to fall into place, I met Niamh on the train platform, a recognisable international student with her 2 huge suitcases just like me, and Cecilie and Emma on the train. Having a little group of friends already by the time we reached Utrecht was massively comforting, and even getting off at the wrong bus stop didn’t feel so bad since we had each other to work out where to go. By the evening everyone had met their flatmates which meant the group for our meal out alongside the canal was a huge mix of flatmates, train mates, and course mates.



DAY 2
The first day turned out really well, apart from my failed trip to find a second hand bike (absolutely devastating) and the next day we decided to go for a group trip to IKEA; so perfect after arriving to a surprisingly spacious but highly un-decorated room. After spending a night under just a blanket with no pillow I was very appreciative of everyone’s enthusiasm for an IKEA trip- not very ‘Dutch culture’ immersive, but very essential. The successful shopping day was then however cut short when we arrived at ANOTHER second hand bike shop 1 minute after it had closed.



DAY 3
After sleeping through my alarm due to my strange freshers flu I decided to make the most of Monday, going straight out to the bike shop absolutely determined to buy one. The fietsenmaker was super helpful and I managed the whole transaction in Dutch, one of my first opportunities to really put it to the test. When you’re living with international students its so easy to just avoid the language of the country, and there's always part of you that tells yourself 'just do it in English it'll be easier', but it's always, always, always worth trying.

DAY 4
The bike (and my cycling abilities) were truly tested the next morning when Matt, my flatmate Courtney and I set off for our introductory meeting in the Domplein, and then for my afspraak to register with the municipality. I’d parked in my first ever proper bike park, and found the right building to realise that I didn’t have my passport with me… no registration for me just yet. Oh well, I got some cycling practice out of it.



By that evening, a night out was overdue and the girls from my flat I headed out armed with Desperados (an unlikely drink of choice) for pres before the international students party at club Poema in the city. Cycling to a club and back is definitely NOT ideal but at least there was a good group of us, it for sure added to the fun.. Until the next morning when I had my first lecture at 9AM.

DAY 5
After cycling to the city centre (where all of my classes are held) in a morning thunderstorm, I successfully managed to sit through my first 1hr 45 lecture and take some pretty good notes while making a new friend in the process... what hangover? There’s so much to explore in the city so I decided to get a little lost there before my next lecture (and buy a raincoat- who forgets to pack a raincoat for a YEAR abroad??)  




DAY 6
The next day I was in need of a catch up with everything, making a new appointment with the stadskantoor (lol) and signing myself up for some projects while I’m here. I also cycled out to what I thought was the post office to find myself in the university hospital.. It felt a bit weird, but they had stamps so I went along with it and sent a postcard to my little sister.
In the night I went with the girls from my flat to a club which looked more like a shopping mall.. I've never seen anything like it, no sticky floors, bright white walls, and an indoor smoking room with glass walls. It was strange, but an amazing night, and I found myself speaking a lot of Dutch....

DAY 7
Friday- the final day before a whole week in the Netherlands; with only one class all day, the morning was relaxed, and it was actually pretty sunny which made for a great bike ride to and from uni. I finally managed to get to the stadskantoor and successfully register as a resident, and watched a little bit of beach volleyball that was going on just outside the central station.





Post a Comment

© aktuelle anna. Design by FCD.